Halloween has grown in popularity in Australia over the past decade. What was once an American celebration is now enjoyed around the world with people throwing Halloween parties, doing tricks or treats and participating in lots of fun activities.
Creating Halloween props (or props for any occasion) adds to the feeling of fun and can theme an otherwise empty space any way you like.
Polystyrene has long been used as an ideal material for building movie sets and television props, and is equally effective for Halloween props. Its lightweight and moisture-resistant nature makes it durable, easy to carry and easy to use. Tombstones, axes, coffins and more can all be created from Styroboard XPS.
Here are some great tips on how to get started with your Styroboard XPS Halloween prop designs:
- Prepare an outline of the shape you are going to create so you can trace it onto the polystyrene block. This will help you get the form right without making mistakes.
- Measure twice, cut once.
- Remember this is a 3D prop, so be sure to consider how it will look from the side and the front.
- Using a serrated knife or hot wire tool, make the big cuts first to start bringing your Halloween prop to life.
- If you’re using a serrated blade to cut your shape, a good tip is to rub the blade with wax before cutting – this will give you a smoother cut.
- By using smaller tools, you can create texture on your Styrofoam accessories. Choose kitchen utensils or small household tools to achieve different textures such as wood grain, stone or metal.
- Bringing your accessory to life with color is the final step; however, you will need to prime your prop before you begin your paint job. A standard paint or gesso primer will protect the foam and prevent the paint you use from melting into the foam.
- Once your primer is dry, you can use spray paint or acrylic paint to create your Halloween look.
Foamex offers a wide range of polystyrene products perfect for creating props for any occasion, from Halloween decorations to parties at any time of the year. contact us today to start your Halloween project or even get going with your Christmas accessories.