Nordic – Office of Architecture reveals interior design of Jiangbei 3B international terminal
Nordic Office of Architecture won the interior design competition for the new Terminal 3B at Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport in China with a concept that incorporates experiential programs and references the identity of the Chinese city. Created in collaboration with UDG, ADC and Lichtvision, the project aims to facilitate intuitive orientation while offering travelers a series of interactive spaces and attractions throughout their journey.
The design is created around a series of references to the culture and landscapes of Chongqing which gradually accumulate from departure to the gates. These nods to the region’s history and landscape are expressed through materials, finishes, wall treatments and graphics, creating a story that culminates with demonstrations of Chongqing art and technology. . The starting level has four outdoor gardens, each referencing a landscape typology of the region – the canyon, the river, the bamboo grove and the flower garden – accessible from the central axis and the adjacent commercial spaces.
The project is conceived as a “river” flowing to the gates along which passengers meet “islands” and “shores” intended for rest and interaction. The design creates movement and pauses through the use of patterns and shapes, with linear geometries indicating transit and the smooth closed shapes of the furniture and design details marking the seating and rest areas. In addition, the concept offers an array of experiential programs related to art, nature and entertainment.
Nordic Office of Architecture, Grimshaw, Haptic and STUP to design “India’s greenest airport”
- Architect: Nordic – Architectural office -Thomas Fagernes, Chrsitian Henriksen, Bjørn Olav Susæg, Yang Zhang, Jaymar Delgado, Eva Schwärzler and Lisa Germain
- Local architect: UDG – Cui Yongxiang, Yu Liang, Liu Xin, Chen Gang, Jiang Weixiong, Jerson Zhang, Echo Zhuang, Qin Zheng, Jacob Cheng, Yu Lifeng, Chen Shida, Zhang Xiaoli, Gu Lin, Liu Naizhi, Wang Haiyan, Ling Haifeng, Ma Yanlin, Wu Binbin, Wang Tiante, Tang Rongkang, Zhao tianci, Miller Mi
- Lighting designer: Lichtvision
- Brand designer: Abstract design center
- Business planning: Alan thompson